Assistant Director, Pre-Health Programs
Assistant Director, Pre-Health Programs
The College of Sciences and Mathematics (https://www.auburn.edu/cosam) seeks candidates for the position of Assistant Director of Pre-Health Programs. This position is responsible for managing the Pre-Health Programs in the College of Sciences and Mathematics and will oversee specialized academic advising, counseling, and programmatic offerings for students considering Pre-Health professions.
With more than 75 percent of students as biomedical sciences majors, The College of Sciences and Mathematics prepares students to pursue their dreams of helping others through the medical profession.
To learn more about Pre-Heath Advising Program visit: https://www.auburn.edu/cosam/departments/student-services/pre-health/index.htm
About Auburn: At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
Why employees choose Auburn: Auburn University was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers, with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance, generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and dependents, flexible spending accounts and more!
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and thriving community by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
Our Commitment: Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Visit www.auburn.edu/inclusion to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all. Check out https://www.auburn.edu/cosam//departments/diversity/index.htm to learn more about COSAM’s Office of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity.
- Essential Functions include but are not limited to:
Advising students on the application process for Pre-Health programs including anesthesiologist assistant, dental, medical, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy, and physician assistant programs. In addition, conducting virtual and in-person meetings to inform students about the Pre-Professional Advisory Committee (PPAC).
- Regularly participates in professional development activities and creative endeavors, including, but not limited to, the National Association of Advisors for Health Professionals (NAAHP), membership with Alabama Health Professions Advisors (AHPA), as well as participation with AU Biomedical Sciences Oversight Committee. Responsible for attending industry conferences, seminars, and webinars to stay current with any changes to the application process for health professions programs.
- Assists in the recruitment of Pre-Health students, to include representing the programs at campus-partnered events and meeting prospective students.
- Assists in the planning and execution of activities and events for Pre-Health students, to include serving as an advisor for the AU Chapter of Alpha Epsilon Delta (AED) Health Pre-Professional Honor Society and as co-advisor for the Physical Therapy Occupational Therapy Club (PTOTC). Assists with online proctoring of practice Medical College Admission Tests (MCAT). Coordinates and schedules mock interviews for pre-dental, premedical, pre-optometry, and pre-pharmacy school students with admissions representatives from Alabama dental, medical, optometry and pharmacy schools. Attends Camp War Eagle to speak to all Pre-Health freshmen as well as attends Department of Biological Sciences seminars to speak to Pre-Professional Non-Thesis Master’s students.
- Collects and reports academic program and student testing data for the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (ADAA), which are used in the annual Biomedical Sciences Assessment Report.
- Provides work planning and supervision for all Pre-Health staff to include the Pre-Health Counseling Specialist, Pre-Health Academic Coordinator, and Pre-Health Internship Coordinator.
- Manages the AU Rural Medicine Program (RMP), to include planning coursework for RMP students; coordinating student schedules with local physician partners; participating in program trips to meetings and conferences; planning program events; and representing the AU programs to various partners including UAB Medical School.
- Working knowledge of FERPA, AU Policies and Procedures, Curriculum Models for Health Professions, best practices in Higher Education Administration, and the application processes for medical and health programs.
Minimum Education and Experience
Master's degree from an accredited institution
Field of Study
Higher Education, Biomedical Sciences, or related field.
Years of Experience
Area of Experience
Progressively responsible experience in an advisory role within higher education or closely related area.
Requirements for Additional Job Levels
Alternate Minimum Education and Experience (If available)
Indicated education is required; no substitutions allowed
Years of Experience
Indicated experience is required; no substitutions allowed
Minimum Skills and Abilities
Excellent written and interpersonal communications skills are required. A commitment to building an inclusive and diverse community is also required.
Experience in advising or career counseling of students seeking admission to Pre-Health professional schools is desired.
$51,900 - $86,400
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.