Civil Engineer III – Development EngineeringCity of Bremerton
|Job Title:||Civil Engineer III - Development Engineering|
|Opening Date/Time:||Thu. 06/06/19 12:00 AM Pacific Time|
|Salary:||$40.37 - $47.35 Hourly|
|Job Type:||REGULAR FULL-TIME|
|Location:||345 6th Street, Bremerton, Washington|
|Department:||Public Works and Utilities|
|FLSA:||Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.|
|Development Engineering functions include review and approval of plans submitted by third party developers for work in the City right-of-way, along with management and oversight of staff who assist with plan review, and performing permitting and inspection. The Development Engineer must possess a strong understanding of Stormwater Engineering and the City's NPDES Phase II Stormwater Permit requirements as they relate to development.|
|Representative Essential Duties and Responsibilities:|
|(Note – this list is intended only to illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position.)
The Development Engineer provides oversight and direction to Engineering Technicians to ensure that work in the right-of-way (utilities and roads), along with proposed development (plats, commercial, multi-family and single family residential) complies with applicable City codes, ordinances and regulations.
The Development Engineer requires a thorough understanding of stormwater regulations, as they function as the City's Stormwater Engineer. The Development Engineer reviews and approves submitted stormwater plans and reports to ensure all proposed development is in compliance with the City's code and all permit requirements.
Interprets and explains city, state and federal codes, ordinances, specifications, policies, procedures and standards to developers, elected officials and the public.
Reviews and approves development proposals. Approves permits, conducts pre-construction meetings and explains permit conditions to applicants.
Responds to inquiries and complaints from the public and applies applicable codes, specifications, and standards. Ensures that appropriate information is provided, and issues are resolved.
– Regular attendance is an essential requirement
– Performs related work as assigned and/or required
|Qualifying Education and Experience (Minimum Requirements):|
|Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or related field from an accredited college or university and five years of increasingly responsible civil engineering experience.
A valid Washington State Driver's License is required.
• City, state and federal regulations, codes and ordinances pertaining to public works engineering and construction.
• Supervisory principles and practices.
• Principals, practices, methods and techniques of civil engineering including but not limited to road, street light, sanitary sewer, water, and storm drainage design.
• Plan layout and design.
• Water, Sewer, and Storm Drainage development and design standards.
• CSI and WSDOT Standard Specifications.
• Standard construction practices.
• Standard construction inspection techniques.
• Construction Contract Management.
• Basic computer skills including Arc GIS/ESRI.
• Reviewing engineered plans for clarity and completeness.
• Compiling project design specifications.
• Understanding and applying City Codes and Ordinances.
• Performing engineering calculations.
• Supervising subordinate staff.
• Plan, organize and schedule multiple concurrent work assignments.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Research and prepare detailed recommendations and written reports.
• Analyze and identify problem areas and develop solutions.
• Work concurrently on a wide variety of tasks and functions.
• Interpret and assess field data for use in design of public works projects.
• Design and prepare engineering plans, specifications and estimates for public works projects.
• The ability to get along with others and be part of a team.
Washington State Professional Engineering License (or ability to obtain a license within six months).
Applicants can apply on-line at http://www.ci.bremerton.wa.us/169/Current-Jobs, or application packets may be obtained from the Human Resources Department, Cobweb, or by calling (360) 473-5348. FIRST REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS JUNE 24, 2019.
Required Application Materials: City application and personal résumé are required. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. Required application materials must be returned to the Human Resources Office by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. The City of Bremerton is NOT responsible for errors of any kind with faxed or e-mailed application packets. Original signature is required on paper application forms. It is the responsibility of the applicant to carefully list all pertinent experience and training.
Appraisal of Experience and Education/Training: Application packets will be evaluated on the basis of information provided. Applicant's education, training, and experience will be assessed. The passing score is 70%. The top qualifying candidates will be invited to participate further in the examination process. Meeting or exceeding qualifications does not guarantee the applicant will be invited to participate in the oral examination process.
Oral Examination: A panel will evaluate the applicant's training, experience, and ability to perform the job.
Placement on the eligibility list is determined by weighted examination scores as follows:
Appraisal of application packet regarding Experience and Education/Training -
Oral Examination - Passing Score 70% - Weight 60%
Applicants must achieve a score of 70% or better on each portion of the exam in order to be placed on the hiring list.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES: Applicants with disabilities who will need special accommodation for examination must advise Human Resources no later than one (1) week prior to the scheduled examination so that appropriate arrangements can be made. (360) 473-5347.
The City of Bremerton is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.