Standardized Patient (Per Diem)
Standardized Patient (Per Diem)
Florida International University (FIU) is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes $9.8 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded over 200,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU @ I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: the Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has over 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM) is currently seeking per diem Standardized Patients (SP) to join our team of professionals.
HWCOM has SP positions that may become available on a short term, temporary basis. SP positions are needed to participate in simulated patient-doctor encounters required in the training and assessment of medical students throughout their four-year medical school curriculum. The SP also provides services to other programs such as Physician Assistant, Nursing and other Health Sciences. An SP is a person who is hired and trained to accurately and consistently recreate the history (patient story), symptoms, personality, physical findings, and emotional structure and response pattern of a patient. SPs are interviewed and/or examined (just as you would be by your family doctor) by male and female medical students. SPs take part in individual student evaluation sessions or they may work in a group during a case-based setting led by a facilitator.
This program is not a form of medical care and/or diagnosis. The purpose of this program is to compliment the clinical training of our students with life like scenarios in a safe, controlled, simulated setting.
- Memorizes a case script detailing specific emotions, behaviors, and disease signs/symptoms for presentation during simulated learning situations.
- Provides constructive feedback to students using their patient perspective and life experiences.
- Provides educationally constructive verbal feedback during the debriefing and conclusion, providing their patient perspective and life experiences.
- Maintains confidentiality of information related to cases, student behaviors and feedback evaluations.
- Follows written and verbal instruction provided by the Standardized Patient Educator, Faculty and Simulation Center Staff members.
- Drives to and from area hospitals within their work schedule as needed.
- Performs related duties as required or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Be willing to be audio and videotaped during the session.
- Highly dependable and punctual
- Ability to have a flexible work schedule preferred
- Ability to understand and follow instructions
- Ability to be instructed by a Standardized Patient Educator and consistently simulate a case scenario in an accurate, reliable and professional manner.
Per Diem- Up to 10 hours a week
- Criminal Background Check
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please visit us on-line at https://hr.fiu.edu/careers/, click on “Prospective Employees” or “Current Employees” and search for job opening ID 529465
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.