Assistant Director, MBA Programs
Assistant Director, MBA Programs
The George Mason University, School of Business invites applications for the position of Assistant Director, MBA Programs. The primary responsibility is to execute the day-to-day operations of the program including: student services, event planning, program logistics, and being a liaison with the MBA faculty. This is a full-time classified staff position with full benefits.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment. Mason is the most diverse public university in Virginia and 12th nationally, based on the U.S. News & World Report 2022 Best Colleges list. Washington, D.C. is ranked the 30th most racially and ethnically diverse city nationally amongst cities with a population of at least 300,000 people according to the U.S. News & World Report 2018 Diversity Ranking.
The Assistant Director, MBA Programs has responsibilities in the following areas:
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the in-person MBA program including program logistics, elective selection logistics, and monitoring of budget;
- Responsible for developing and enhancing processes to enable the program to operate in a more successful manner;
- Provide input on budget planning and provide support and reports as needed for budget execution; and
- Assist other graduate programs Assistant Directors and Program Managers as needed.
Student Liaison and Advising
- Serve as the point of contact for students in the in-person MBA program regarding academic advising, elective selection, graduate certificates, and policy compliance;
- Monitor students’ degree progression and communicate registration requirements to Assistant Dean of Graduate Academic Services; and
- Serve as first level of escalation for student and faculty issues related to the in-person MBA program.
Wiley Online Program Support
- Serve as main point of contact for Wiley Student Success Coaches;
- Support online students through communication and collaboration with Wiley online team;
- Serve as advisor for students transitioning between delivery modes;
- Work with faculty and Wiley staff to coordinate course delivery schedule and monitor enrollments; and
- Serve as first level of escalation for student and faculty issues related to the online MBA program.
LMS Organization Management
- Develop and maintain the online orientation courses for incoming online and in-person MBA students;
- Develop and maintain online content/data warehouse for all current MBA students;
- Work with the graduate programs recruitment team to ensure new student section of LMS organization is up-to-date and accurate; and
- Update and manage organization participants, including adding new users (e.g., students and faculty) and removing old users (e.g., graduated students).
Supervision and Development
- Responsible for supervision and development of Graduate Program Manager (classified staff) which includes selection, motivation, and evaluation to assist in the incumbent’s professional development and effectiveness;
- Proactively identify and provide opportunities for the Graduate Program Manager’s professional development;
- Support and supervise wage employees and student workers hired to support for the MBA Programs, including delegating tasks and managing administrative projects to ensure hires are fully employed and best serving the needs of the graduate program; and
- Back up for graduate programs Assistant Directors.
Strategic Planning, Recruitment, and Development
- Responsible for contributing to strategy development and implementation for the MBA program including program positioning, increasing competitive advantages, and partnering opportunities; and
- Support graduate enrollment and admissions recruitment events.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities;
- Ability to interact and relate well to people including having a strong customer service orientation;
- Ability to work with students and faculty in multiple modalities (in person and online);
- Ability to manage budgets;
- Strong interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent attention to detail with strong ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced, high pressure environment;
- Demonstrated ability to serve as part of a team and develop productive working relationships with multiple constituencies (i.e., student, faculty, staff, and alumni); and
- Familiarity with a university environment including an understanding of the organizational and governance structure of major colleges and universities.
- Master’s degree;
- Understanding the goals and objectives of the School of Business and the MBA program;
- Expertise and experience working with graduate-level students and online programs; and
- Demonstrated working knowledge of program administration and experience in a graduate program setting.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01807z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by November 25, 2022; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and list of professional references. We will contact you directly if we require additional materials. Review of applications will begin on November 26, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.
For Full Consideration, Apply by:
Open Until Filled?
Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Campus Safety Information
Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/