Public Relations ManagerPeninsula Light Company
JOB TITLE: Public Relations Manager
REPORTS TO: Chief Resources Officer
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
This position functions as a manager and coordinator of external public relations, government affairs, and business communication strategy. Incumbent will advocate communications related programs and activities that facilitate accomplishments of PenLight’s strategic plan via in-person, written, and social media based communications. Incumbent will develop policy recommendations, draft legislation, and strategy papers on legislative/regulatory matters. This position is responsible for keeping employees, the board of directors, and members of the public (as appropriate) informed of PenLight’s varied policies, programs and activities.
The incumbent will lead efforts with chambers of commerce, economic development councils, and other community organizations, play a significant role in event planning, have primary responsibility for corporate and board websites and social media accounts, and actively advocate for the company in public forums. The incumbent will have dotted line reporting responsibility to both the CEO and Board of Directors.
This position may supervise staff as assigned.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform duties relating to communications with PenLight customers, the general public, and internal staff including branding, messaging, and development and implementation of PenLight’s communication strategy. Incumbent will be responsible for training staff as it relates to communication as required.
- Independently lead and coordinate outreach efforts involving corporate key accounts and ambassadors program.
- Coordinate and advise regarding the company’s government affairs efforts.
- Serve as a primary spokesperson for media inquiries. Demonstrate highly proficient conflict resolution skills.
- Develop and manage the strategic planning for public outreach in media relations.
- Assist other PenLight personnel in the development, review, and release of various public announcements, press releases and public information campaigns.
- Assist with internal employee communications and employee relations programs which may include labor/management endeavors and Company events.
- Analyze communications and technology effectiveness and recommend improvements to existing services, equipment and operating systems; research, analyze, and evaluate new developments and expand existing programs/ services; and develop and recommend new programs and program modifications.
- Develop, implement, and monitor PenLight standards for internal and external written communications, ensuring that all communications meet the highest standards of quality and accuracy.
When asked, represent PenLight at industry regional communication meetings and conferences. Maintain ties to utility industry counterparts and community leaders.
- Manage PenLight survey activities.
- Lead the writing and editing of PenLight’s member and employee newsletters and communications coordinating these efforts with other departments as appropriate.
- Act as a designated public relations point of contact with various federal, state and local organizations and government bodies. Develop and maintain effective relationships of trust with community leaders.
- Coordinate company responses and track legislation during each legislative session and subsequent rule making processes where PenLight operations may be affected.
- Participate as appropriate in events, committees, groups, forums, community meetings, trade associations, local service clubs, or other groups.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The incumbent will:
- Exhibit ability to interact diplomatically and positively with PenLight staff’s varied backgrounds, areas of expertise and level of understanding of communication strategy-related practices, principles, risks and rewards.
- Exhibit the ability to speak and write English at high levels of proficiency. Demonstrate advanced interpersonal skills with people at all levels.
- Demonstrate integrity, sensitivity and confidentiality. The incumbent is frequently involved in strategic planning and routinely exposed to sensitive information regarding personnel, financial, legal and proprietary matters.
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in project planning, photography, knowledge of layout and design concepts, electronic communications, video production, and social media.
- Think creatively and use initiative to accomplish tasks and implement projects. Use independent and discretionary judgment.
- Understand and assimilate complex and/or technical information and accurately convert its content and format into structures and styles suitable for public audiences.
- Use advanced personal computer word processing programs, presentation, graphics and publishing software, spreadsheets and databases. Advanced competency with graphic design, photo archiving software, digital cameras, and other A/V equipment as necessary to do the job.
- Use independent and discretionary judgment to analyze and solve problems.
- Communicate persuasively on complex matters and coordinate complex matters involving multiple parties with a variety of internal and external members.
- Demonstrate knowledge of advanced principles and practices of public administration, projects and organizational management.
- Exhibit advanced organizational management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies, goals, strategic plans and operational needs.
- Use creative and innovative thinking to analyze, evaluate, develop, and market energy management and demand-management programs and services through a variety of mediums.
- Model leadership behaviors that promote open communication, teamwork, productivity and accountability with integrity by exemplifying appropriate behaviors.
WORKING CONDITIONS / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is performed in an office environment. This position requires considerable oral, written and verbal communication skills and deals with visually presented material.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or related field or equivalent combination of education and public relations or marketing experience required.
- Master’s degree in public relations, business or public administration preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible work experience with the public, media and/or governmental or business organizations at a management level is required.
- Upper management level public relations/communications experience.
- Certified Cooperative Communicator credential preferred.
- Supervisory experience desirable.
- Advanced ability to operate equipment necessary to the position to include Microsoft Office Suite, web and photography software.
- Experience within the electric utility industry is strongly preferred.