Operations Manager - WA (Newspaper)The News Tribune
This position is a leadership role and has responsibility for the logistics and distribution of all print products in the Northwest markets - Tacoma, Olympia, Bellingham, Tri Cities and Boise. The Operations Manager will also be responsible for delivering on various operational, financial and audience goals and for audience growth.
he position has responsibility for distribution of the newspaper’s entire product portfolio. This includes but is not limited to each newspaper’s home delivery, On Demand, NIE, and 3rd party print circulation, the TMC and targeted non-paid print products.
The Operations Manager will also be responsible for identifying, developing and delivering on various financial and audience goals including but not limited to audience growth, retention, expense, revenue and operating cash flow; anticipating declines and/or shortfalls in delivering on goals; and developing and executing plans to address declines and/or shortfalls for the assigned newspaper.
- Responsible for knowing, communicating and delivering on the core strategies, audience targets, audience revenue targets and audience division cash flow targets. Identifies alternatives for delivering on strategies and targets when shortfalls are anticipated.
- Responsible for the implementation of an effective distribution process that ensures world-class delivery to all homes and businesses within the newspaper’s designated market.
- Manages contract performance and negotiates contracts and rates. Maintains billing accuracy around rates.
- Analyses route profitability, route design, route consolidation and logistics to ensure routes compensation is fair and that subscriber deliveries are timely.
- Establishes work schedules to accomplish delivery goals.
- Interprets company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Requires a prior work history that demonstrates strong, successful leadership ability and solid understanding of complexities of newspaper circulation, audience development, sales, distribution and marketing.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the public.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; and 2-4 years related experience and/or training, including at least 5 years of management level experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.