Service Journalism Editor
The Service Journalism Editor based in Tacoma leads a high-utility and service journalism reporting team to help local residents navigate their lives as well as understand the news.
This editor’s priority is to help ensure our content is useful and essential, and that we are meeting our readers' curiosity and informational needs. The team, driven by audience growth and loyalty strategies, uses tools such as Google Trends to surface and answer questions readers are asking at the moment.
The ability to collaborate is also a must, as this editor and team will work with colleagues across the newsroom and with McClatchy’s news analytics and audience teams to create and evangelize audience-focused service journalism.
The person in this role will report to the Northwest Regional Editor.
Key tasks include:
- Daily execution of audience-focused utility strategy, fueled by a team of reporters working across multiple storytelling platforms.
- Coordinate story assignments, in collaboration with newsroom editors, informed by local search data, social conversations and engagement journalism.
- Develop and execute creative ways to deliver community stories that matter into the hands of those who need it most.
- Help to build social media campaigns, and perform other digital engagement duties as needed to amplify the content created by the high-utility team.
- Data reporting experience and ability to work with data visualization tools is a plus
- Editing, reporting and writing required.
- Candidates must have strong writing, editing and visuals skills.
- Familiar with a variety of storytelling approaches, including social, alt-form writing, video and audio.
- Experience with identifying audience-focused strategies, including with Google Trends, headline writing, SEO, social media and newsletters.
- Dedication to experimentation informed by analytics
- Ability to lead a team with urgency and empathy.
- Strong collaborative instincts and a love of teamwork.
- Excellent news judgment and journalism ethics.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in journalism
- At least 3 years of experience as an editor
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).