Administrative Program Support 3, 496606
The Department of Allied Health Sciences at the University of Connecticut is seeking a dynamic and team-oriented leader with creative energy to contribute to a culture that values community, inclusion, excellence, and strategic growth. The successful candidate will have demonstrated skill and experience in academic business operations and communication with a diversity of people, including students, administrative professionals, faculty, and many others. The successful candidate will be open-minded, forward-thinking, and collaborative in addressing the needs of a department with diverse academic offerings, including a large undergraduate major and growing graduate program, an active advising center, accredited professional and entrepreneurial certificate programs, and a robust externally funded research enterprise. This position requires an individual with demonstrated skill and proven experience in high-level administrative support, as well as leadership abilities.
The Department of Allied Health Sciences has a vibrant, multidisciplinary faculty dedicated to advancing knowledge through research, teaching, advising, and community engagement. The Department has been in a period of expansion, recruiting 10 new faculty in recent years to meet growing student needs and the initiative to offer the Allied Health Sciences major on UConn’s regional Waterbury campus. With approximately 30 faculty, 750 undergraduates, 30 post-baccalaureate students, and 30 graduate students, we actively engage in educating and training the next generation of health professionals. The Department offers an undergraduate major in Allied Health Sciences with multiple concentrations; three nationally-accredited professional programs (Dietetics, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Diagnostic Genetic Sciences); two master’s programs (Health Promotion Sciences, Health Care Genetics); and a PhD program in Health Promotion Sciences. Department faculty conduct grant-funded research in obesity, HIV/AIDS, digital health, behavioral genomics, nutrition, food policy, cancer and cardiovascular disease prevention, women’s health, and public health. With diversity as a core value of the Department, College, and University, our Department strives to be an inclusive educational institution that attracts, retains, and values talented people from all backgrounds.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads a wide range of fiscal, administrative, and operational matters.
- Manages human resource and payroll-related functions of Department personnel (faculty, staff, student workers, special payroll employees, and graduate assistants); processes visa applications (J1/H1B) for personnel.
- Coordinates workflow of main office staff and student employees to ensure efficient office operations, potentially serving as a direct supervisor for one or more staff.
- Monitors revenues and expenditures, and may serve as the Fiscal Officer, on Department financial accounts, including Foundation accounts; and, as needed, provides reports and projections to Department Head, faculty, and program directors.
- Manages the procurement of research, laboratory and academic supplies; equipment; controllable property (computers, laptops, tablets); licenses and agreements; and other required purchases.
- Serves as a resource, as needed, for activities related to Promotion, Tenure, and Reappointment and departmental searches.
- Works with the college business office or other relevant units to lead the preparation of financial and ad hoc reports as appropriate to meet Federal, State, University, and departmental requirements.
- Provides significant feedback on establishing, implementing, and monitoring departmental administrative policies, processes, and procedures.
- Serves as a resource regarding academic programs and other department activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field and (3) to (4) years of professional experience in a responsible academic administrative support position OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated work experience in academic programs in higher education.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, complex, multi-faceted academic office environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to establish relationships with a variety of constituents, both internal and external to the University.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Teams, and Outlook.
- Experience with Kuali Financial Systems, Core-CT, HuskyBuy, and PeopleSoft, or similar enterprise systems.
- Ability to problem solve and regularly exercise sound judgment regarding operational and administrative procedures in an academic health department.
- Experience working with diverse populations, including faculty from multiple health disciplines.
- Ability to expertly manage time and deadlines, and juggle multiple competing priorities in an academic department.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating faculty hiring processes in a university.
- Demonstrated potential to lead others.
This is a full-time, twelve-month position with an excellent benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Interested candidates should apply online via UConn jobs (https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs/), Staff positions, search #496606, to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references (including title, organization/company, phone, and e-mail).
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on August 9, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.