HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANTUS District Courthouse
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT
(PART-TIME, 20 HOURS PER WEEK)
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER 19-WAW-16
ANNOUNCEMENT DATE June 17th, 2019
CLOSING DATE Open until filled with preference given to resumes received by August 25th, 2019
700 Stewart Street
Seattle, WA 98101
1717 Pacific Avenue
Tacoma, WA 98402
The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington is seeking an articulate and
self-motivated individual to join our Consolidated Administrative Services department.
Consolidated Administrative Services is comprised of human resources, budget,
procurement, and space and facilities professionals. We serve the entire Court family:
judicial officers, chambers staff, clerk’s office staff, and probation and pretrial services
officers and staff. The Human Resources Assistant provides administrative and technical
support for Human Resources programs including: leave management, recruitment,
performance management, on-boarding and orientation, benefits, employee recognition,
and training, proactively supporting many elements of the employment lifecycle. This
position requires a positive, self-motivated individual who demonstrates collaboration,
professionalism, discretion, and exceptional customer service and communication skills.
This position is part time and is located at the federal courthouse in Seattle with periodic
work days at the federal courthouse in Tacoma and/or satellite probation and pretrial
services offices. Frequent travel within the district is required.
• Support the Court’s recruitment process, including advertising vacancies, managing
applications, scheduling interviews, conducting testing and assisting with job fairs.
• Assist with coordinating and conducting new employee and law clerk orientation(s).
• Manage the Court’s electronic leave / time keeping system.
• Assist with maintaining and monitoring human resources records, including payroll and
leave records, and tracking and entering time sensitive data.
• Assist with training activities related to human resources within the Court, such as
maintaining training records, assisting with preparing materials and resources, and
scheduling resources (e.g., meeting rooms, web-based resources, etc.)
• Maintain and track employee recognition and awards and assist with organizing and
managing recognition events.
• Assist with the performance management processes established by each Court unit.
• Perform reception duties by greeting visitors/callers in person and on the telephone,
answering routine questions, and directing visitors/callers to the appropriate person or
• Assist with benefit program coordination and open season activities.
• Participate in other Administrative Services responsibilities and initiatives as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS • A minimum of 2 years of applicable work experience or an equivalent combination of
formal education and experience.
• Must possess a strong work ethic and integrity with the ability to exercise discretion
and judgment with sensitive and confidential information.
• Ability to communicate accurately and professionally with judges, staff attorneys, law
enforcement officers, and operational and administrative staff.
• Ability to multi-task, handle frequent interruptions, maintain focus, and meet
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• PHR or SHRM-CP
• Associates or bachelor’s degree
• Human resources experience with the federal government
• Proficiency with a wide range of technology, including Microsoft Office and SharePoint
SALARY RANGE Court Personnel System Classification Level:
CL25, Step 1 – 61, $21.55 - $35.04 per hour
CL26, Step 1 – 61, $23.74 - $38.57 per hour
Depending on experience and qualifications.
BENEFITS The U.S. District Court provides a generous benefits package, competitive salary, and a
dedication to work/life balance, including flexible schedules and telework opportunities.
Judiciary employees participate in the Federal Employees Retirement System, Thrift Savings
Plan (similar to a 401K), health and life insurance benefits, long term care options, annual
and sick leave accrual, and ten paid holidays per year. Judiciary employees are not covered
by the Office of Personnel Management’s civil service classification system or regulations.
For additional information on employment with the federal courts, visit www.uscourts.gov
INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
Qualified applicants should submit the following:
• A cover letter detailing how your experience relates to the position requirements
• A resume detailing relevant experience, education, and skills
Applications will not be considered complete until all the items listed above have been
received; incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Via e-mail (Word or Acrobat .pdf format) to: email@example.com or
Human Resources (#19-WAW-16)
U.S. District Court
700 Stewart Street, Suite 2218
Seattle, WA 98101
Only qualified applicants will be considered for this position. Applicants must be United
States citizens or eligible to work in the United States. Employees of the United States
District Court are considered “at will” employees. Applicants selected for interviews must
travel at their own expense.