Chief Resources OfficerPeninsula Light Company
PENINSULA LIGHT COMPANY
JOB TITLE: Chief Resources Officer REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
DEPARTMENT: Administration DATE: September 2017
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Working independently and collaboratively with others, this position plays an integral role in executing Peninsula Light Company’s (PLC) mission, philosophy and commitment to providing safe, reliable electricity/water to our community and exceptional service to our internal and external member/customers.
This position establishes PLC power resources, member services and other business programs consistent with broad policies and objectives aligned with the Board of Directors and the Chief Executive Officer to include the development of a power resources and member services business strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of systems.
This position may be responsible for supervising power resources, member services, communications and/or other department staff as assigned. Incumbent will perform employee performance evaluations, make recommendations as to the hiring, firing, advancement and promotion of staff.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides effective direction, planning and oversight of PLC objectives. Identify opportunities for improving business effectiveness to achieve the company’s goals of reliability and member satisfaction.
2. Provides direction and leadership necessary for determining multiple sources of electrical energy. This position will direct the research, development and implementation of new power generation, power contract agreements and transmission resources; determine competitive advantages of such projects; direct the evaluation of potential alternative energy sources and cost benefit analysis studies.
3. Directs and leads the team to negotiate, prepare and administer power contracts. Recommends contractual dispute resolution. Reviews contracts to ensure that all obligations are met and all benefits are received. Evaluates opportunities to enhance return on existing contracts.
- Directs the management of existing PLC’s owned generation.
- Directs energy efficiency and conservation initiatives.
- Identifies key organizational and operational issues and/or policies that need immediate attention and/or revision by evaluating trends; establishing critical measurements; determining productivity, quality, and effective strategies; designing systems; accumulating resources; resolving problems; implementing change.
- Leads the evaluation of the organizational structure and implements change management affecting staff. Ensures that statutes and governmental rules and regulations pertaining to administrative matters are enforced.
- Develops financial statistics and economic analysis reports as necessary for reporting to the CEO and Board of Directors. Analyze and measure financial impact of risk to PLC.
- Develops and coordinates business plans and forecasts; participate in labor/management efforts in the preparation and evaluation of short and long-term business goals.
- Communicates in a professional, respectful and courteous manner with all employees, the Board of Directors, members/customers and the community. Contributes to a successful workgroup through positive interactions, and through the constructive exchange of ideas designed to meet or exceed the organizations strategic goals.
- Participates in the recruitment, selection, and retention of department personnel. Monitors, manages direct staff and/or processes to ensure continuous improvement and increased contribution to the company's success. Holds employees accountable for working safely, consistently, productively and in compliance with PLC's policies and work rules in pursuit of department and PLC's goals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Exhibits executive level leadership and business acumen. Has ability to see the big, long-range picture. Is organizationally and politically savvy. Demonstrates a broad breath of knowledge of organizational development, leadership and management best practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies, goals, strategic plans and operational needs.
- Demonstrates strong leadership experience in management to include several areas of expertise such as power resources, member services, communications, finance, legal, marketing, technology, information systems, operations, engineering and/or power utility administration.
- Exhibits a strong leadership style that promotes respect, open communication, teamwork, productivity and accountability with integrity. Excellent written, oral and presentation skills. Displays an ongoing commitment to learning and self-improvement.
- Ability to lead individuals to perform successfully as a team and adapt to rapidly changing and evolving environments that ensure successful outcomes while balancing competing interest in priorities.
- Ability to manage change in a way that clarifies priorities and embraces technology. Has ability to develop and implement fresh ideas that provide solutions to all types of workplace challenges.
- Earns others’ trust and respect through consistent honesty and professionalism in all interactions. Maintains composure in highly stressful or adverse situations. Helps create a work environment that nurtures diversity.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, schedule, organize, track, document, report and evaluate work and job performance of staff to increase productivity, maximize available resources, and ensure that department and business needs and goals are met and/or exceeded.
- Must exhibit working knowledge of federal, state and local laws, rules, regulations, codes and/or statutes applicable to Peninsula Light Company and its provision of utility services.
- Exhibits ability to follow legal, consumer, fiscal guidelines, regulations, principles, and standards when committing resources or processing transactions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of best practices for power generation, including power sales agreements and transmission resources.
- Is highly proficient at troubleshooting, problem-solving, and researching. Exhibits high level organizational and analytical skills, combined with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet established deadlines.
- Exhibits advanced understanding and personal skills while utilizing information systems and relevant business applications to include MS office, and other business applications.
WORKING CONDITIONS / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is normally performed in an office environment. This position requires proficiency with personal computers, office and business software and operating general office equipment.
1. A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Economics or a Bachelor’s Degree related to the position is required.
2. Master’s in Business Administration, Electrical Engineering or related field is strongly preferred.
3. Five years’ extensive strategic leadership in business/financial, power resources, operational, engineering experience or a combination of positions with executive level responsibility related to this position.
4. Three to five years’ senior management level management work experience in the electric utility industry is strongly preferred or work experience that demonstrates the same level of an advanced understanding of the power utility business and related processes.
Peninsula Light Company conducts background screening of all management personnel and personnel who have substantial authority over Finance, Energy Trading, Procurement, Internal Audit, Information Technology or Compliance activities, to include credit checks in order to meet bonding requirements, verification of work experience and education, references and drug screen.
Job Description approved by:
Chief Executive Officer 9/2017
Director of Human Resources 9/2017
As an employee of Peninsula Light Company, I have read the job description for the position of Chief Resources Officer and understand my duties and responsibilities and can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation.
Employee Signature Date